Red Tagua Nut Pendant
The Tagua Nut, commonly known as ‘vegetable ivory’, grows in South American rainforests from Panama, through Colombia and Ecuador, all the way to Peru. It earned its name from its ivory-like colour and texture. Given trade restrictions in elephant ivory as well as animal welfare concerns, tagua nuts have become a highly valued commodity by artisans and consumers alike. It is an eco-friendly and sustainable, natural product which can be dyed to produce durable, lightweight items.
This unique pendant has a slice of red-dyed tagua nut as the backdrop to a diamond-shaped silver-plated cutwork pendant. Antique-style silver-plated rings and chains, together with red beads continue the red theme, making this a striking piece of jewellery. The pendant is strung on a length of 1.5mm waxed cotton cord, making this piece suitable for vegetarians, too!
Features at a glance:
- 2” x 1” red-dyed tagua nut slice
- Silver-plated diamond-shaped cutwork pendant
- Silver-plated handmade chain
- 4mm Siam ruby red glass beads
- 8mm red/gold glass bead
- 1.5mm brown waxed cotton thong
- Length to pendant: 14 ½” / 37cm
- Overall length: 20” / 51cm